9. Family issues – Child Support, Divorces, Prenuptial Agreements………… Need I say more?
8. Minor/ Major Criminal cases – this is self-explanatory. A wise man once said “a man that represents himself, represents a fool….” – get a lawyer.
7. Real Estate – purchasing or selling property requires the help of an attorney to navigate the paper work. It pays to have someone to help you understand what you are signing.
6. Wills – this is something no one likes to discuss- Death. We all must die. You need to have something in place to take care of you family and/or business.
5. Pop Up Issues – Car Accident? Slip and Fall in a store? You need to take care of your ailing parent? You need a lawyer to guide you in these matters, as well.
4. Civil Issues – getting sued? Need to sue someone? Please don’t mistake your Google search for a law degree. If you don’t have a lawyer and your opponent does, watch out! You will lose! (Most of the time.)
3. Referrals – Your Uncle’s Sister- in-law’s Nephew’s Third Cousin got picked up for having a “lil weed”. Sometimes it’s good to know a lawyer.
2. You can’t get out of it alone – As much as you may think that trying to handle these matters on your own will save you money, it doesn’t. In most cases, you end up spending more money than it would cost you to hire an attorney.
1. You need someone to help you – It is not easy to navigate legal matters on your own. Many online websites cannot provide you advice or an explanation for why you need what you need. You may have questions that ONLY an attorney can answer for you.
Easy enough, right? If you have any questions about choosing a lawyer for your business in 2017, you can ask Felicia Harris-Daniels live any Tuesday during her “Tuesday Talk” live in the Alluvial Law Group Facebook group!
-Felicia Harris-Daniels, Esq., Jacqueline Jones